Slide hammers are used to dismantle corroded or stuck car parts such as bearings, pulleys, gears and others. Apart from that, these tools will be useful for restoring the shape of car body parts deformed in a car accident. The tool is operated by the muscle power of a worker. It is fitted with a slide hammer that moves along the shaft away from the component that is attached to the device with special grips.
Slide hammers: 6 important facts
- In the manufacturer’s catalogues, there are external, internal and universal tools. The first ones have two or three hooks to grip the car part from the outside. They are used mainly to remove elements that are pressed on a shaft. The second ones will come handy for removing car parts mounted into various housings as they grip them from the inside. Most often they are equipped with a collet clamp or swivel claws with spherical tips. Universal models have swivel hooks that can grip the component both from the inside and outside.
- It is possible to buy tools that differ in the working diameter. Most often it does not exceed 80 mm.
- You can order a tool itself, as well as a kit, online. It includes not only the device but interchangeable attachments as well. They allow dismantling various car parts using one device.
- While working, you should observe safety regulations and use personal protective equipment. For example, special goggles will allow protecting your eyes from particles of the dismantled element. Remember that it must be securely fixed.
- Before using the device, it is recommended to lubricate the shaft with the weight with machine oil. This will make the use of the slide hammer easier.
- Attach the tool to the car part you are removing strictly at an angle of 90 °. Thanks to that, you will avoid the skew that causes the part to get stuck.
Cost-efficient and convenient shopping at the online shop onlinecarparts.co.uk
Would you like to equip your garage with everything you need for car repairs inexpensively? Here you can buy slide hammers, bearing and bushing drivers, threaded spindles and other items at an affordable price. Competent consultants from onlinecarparts.co.uk will be happy to help you to choose suitable pullers, separators and other products. Besides, the delivery of purchases doesn’t take long.