Measuring tools allow to measure parameters of various car parts. They can be used both during repairs and check-ups.
Measuring tools: 10 important facts
- Many of the tools are used to fix (adjust) car parts. As a result, repair works are considerably facilitated. For example, this category includes camshaft fixing bases. They are used to fix crankshafts and camshafts. This may be necessary when adjusting engine valve timing.
- With the help of drill jigs, it is possible to reduce the risk of misalignments and of drill bit slipping off. These devices are indispensable when you have to bore holes at an angle.
- Thread gauges are also very popular. They are made as a set of leaves each having a reference cross-section which allow to easily measure the rated pitch of a metric thread or the number of threads per inch of a pipe fitting.
- In the catalogues there are height gauges; these are devices used to measure the height of various elements and to make markings. They are equipped with a scale bar and a movable frame with a measuring element or a sharp part to make markings.
- The quality of welding can be controlled with gauges that have a complex design with a number of movable segments. They are used to measure the depth of undercut, parameters of a corner seam, the size of a gap and other parameters.
- Some manufacturers offer brake pad thickness gauges – devices made as a long thin rod. These devices allow measuring the thickness of brake linings. When doing this, there is no need to dismantle the wheels.
- Feeler gauges are used for checking and adjusting gaps. This is a set of steel leaves that vary in thickness. A leaf with the required parameters should be inserted between the car parts. It must fit the gap tightly.
- Measuring tools must be used in strict accordance with the manual. It is not allowed to modify the design of the devices. It is not recommended to use the tools if they are deformed. You shouldn’t use devices with a rubbed-off scale as getting accurate readings will be difficult.
- Many devices are prone to corrosion. It is important to keep them in the place protected from water.
- Some devices require regular calibration. As a rule, the maintenance schedule is stated in the manual.
Beneficial and convenient shopping at onlinecarparts.co.uk online shop
Here you can order measuring tools at low prices. The catalogue of our online shop is constantly updated with inexpensive but high-quality products. Register at the website, keep up with new products, and save with us.