Micrometers help to measure dimensions of small parts very accurately. The frame of the tool is fitted with a movable spindle and a fixed anvil, between which the part is placed. In order to find out the measurements, the thimble of the tool is turned to make the spindle move towards the part. Then, by pressing the ratchet speeder, the spindle is pressed against the part. The results of the measurement are displayed on the scale, dial or screen.
Micrometers: 6 important facts
- Models with a scale and dial belong to mechanical devices. Their main advantage is reliability and low price. Electronic devices fitted with a screen allow showing the readings in both absolute and relative coordinate systems.
- Some tools of this category can be used only for car parts that have been removed from the vehicle. Such instruments are secured on a special stand. However, in most cases, compact hand devices are used as they allow taking the measurements of a part without dismantling it from the vehicle.
- Most devices are universal, i.e. designed for working with components of different shapes. It is also possible to buy micrometers intended to be used for specific tasks. For example, these are wire devices that allow determining the parameters of small round elements. V-anvil ones are suitable for operations with multi-blade tools. Groove micrometers are used for measuring the depth of groves and the distance between them. Deep throat instruments are irreplaceable when it is necessary to define the thickness of metal sheets.
- The results won’t be accurate if the part is covered with metal dust or mill scale or is roughly processed.
- When using a micrometer, it is necessary to make rotational motions smoothly. Otherwise, elements of the device can fail prematurely.
- It is necessary to maintain the device in compliance with the manufacturer’s recommendations. For example, before you start working, sometimes it is advisable to wipe the tool with a cloth soaked with solvent and then – with a clean wipe. The same operations should be carried out after the task as well.
Cost-efficient and convenient shopping at the internet shop onlinecarparts.co.uk
In our catalogue, you can find various instruments for taking measurements. Most of them can be bought inexpensively. Searching for suitable products in our online shop takes very little time. Quality guarantee is provided for all items.