Dial indicators are used to check the physical state of car parts such as engine or braking system components. They allow detecting variations in the size and shape of car parts. This information helps you decide whether to buy and install new ones or not.
Dial indicators: 8 important facts
- These devices differ by design. For example, there are gear models that are mainly used to detect deviations up to 1 mm. If the measured parameter deviates more, the results can be inaccurate. These tools have a rod with a toothed rack, dial pointer and a spring. The latter exerts pressure on the ball that is located at the end of the rod and rests upon the car part.
- You can also buy dial indicators of a lever or gear-and-lever type. Due to their small size, these devices are suitable for testing parts with limited access. Lever devices are used to detect deviations of up to 0.2 mm and gear-and-lever models – up to 0.5 mm. Either the lever or the measuring rod connected to it contact the tested spare. The lever transforms the linear motions of the measuring instrument into rotational motion of the dial pointer.
- Apart from standard devices, in the catalogues, you can come across some models with a dustproof body. Besides, there are tools that can work in conditions of high humidity.
- Measuring instruments can be supplied together with a holder or without it. In the latter case, you will have to buy a stand, bracket or holder separately.
- The device must be used only in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations. Before you start, read the instructions carefully.
- Parts to be tested require certain pre-treatment. Clean them from dust, water, lubricant residues, and corrosion spots. Otherwise, measurement results can be inaccurate.
- Protect the working elements of the device from impacts. Besides, they can be damaged by aggressive chemicals.
- Before you get down to work, examine the dial indicator for defects and clean it thoroughly with a dry cloth. You should use only clean, properly functioning devices.
Cost-efficient and convenient shopping at the webshop onlinecarparts.co.uk
With our help, you’ll be able to equip your garage or workshop with everything you might need for vehicle diagnostics inexpensively. Apart from affordable prices, we offer fast delivery. Our customer support consultants will help you to choose a suitable dial indicator or any other tool and will also tell you about the onlinecarparts.co.uk services if needed. At our online shop, we take care of our customers.