Sledgehammers are used for mounting and dismounting car parts, shaping metal sheets, and for other tasks that require significant force to be applied. They are similar to hammers in design but feature a heavier weight.
Sledgehammers: 5 important facts
- The most widely spread material they are made of is metal. This can be carbon steel, for instance. It is possible to buy a sledgehammer with a cast or forged striking part. Besides, there are models fitted with a metal head and polymer handle. The latter absorbs shocks very well. Quite popular are inexpensive accessories with a wooden handle. The head can be coated with a composite material that eliminates sparking when processing a metal workpiece. These devices will be useful for performing fire-hazardous works.
- Apart from standard tools, in the catalogues, you may find dead-blow models. They have almost no rebound. This becomes possible due to a great number of tiny particles inside the working head. Such tools produce very little noise when used.
- Before you start, it is necessary to examine the tool for damage. It is not acceptable to use it if there are any chips, cracks or other defects found on the handle. It is also necessary to check that the striking part is securely attached.
- The position of the worker’s body when using such a tool should be as steady as possible. Apart from that, you should make sure that there is enough space in the working area and there are no objects that might lead to the loss of balance.
- When delivering blows, it is recommended to hold the sledgehammer above your shoulder, not above your head. For the sake of safety, it is advisable to wear personal protective equipment. For example, special goggles, gloves and anti-slip shoes will be very useful.
Cost-efficient and convenient shopping at the online shop onlinecarparts.co.uk
Thanks to our user-friendly catalogue, you’ll be able to find hammers and axes with suitable characteristics and prices. Assistants from the online shop onlinecarparts.co.uk will be happy to help you to choose first-rate items and answer all the questions you might have. Purchase delivery takes only a little time.