Auto body hammers are striking tools used for car body repairs. In particular, they are used for forming sheet metal and eliminating defects from the surface of the car body.
Auto body hammers: 7 important facts
- In the catalogues, there are models made of different materials. As a rule, hard rubber, polyurethane, leather and steel are used in the production of hammer heads. Metal devices are tempered and thoroughly polished. Their handles are usually made of durable wood and fitted with a rubber coating.
- Depending on the type of the working part, these tools can be flat, convex and sharpened. They might have a round or square profile.
- In the online shop, you can buy auto body hammers of dead-blow type. They are characterised by minimal recoil due to the hollow head filled with sand, lead shot or steel balls. These components absorb the rebound energy at impacts.
- By the intended purpose, these devices can be multi-purpose, pick or chisel, finishing, shrinking. Multi-purpose ones are designed for flanging, riveting, working with a chisel or punch, as well as for other tasks. Pick and chisel models are used, in particular, for treating stiffening ribs of a car body, finishing – for final smoothing out of surfaces and shrinking – for returning the stretched metal to original size.
- The weight of these devices varies between 300 and 700 g. Lighter (up to 250 g) or heavier (above 1,000 g) items are less common. The length of the head can be 65 as well as 160 mm.
- You should choose tools taking into account the type of damage and properties of the processed parts. For example, it is better to eliminate large defects using the device with a big head. Light and compact auto body hammers will be more suitable for removing small dents. If the operation requires high precision, give your preferences to the models with a flat functional element.
- When eliminating large defects you should start from the edges of the damaged area and move towards its centre, for small ones – do it vice-versa. It is important to control the striking force as too heavy a blow can cause metal deformation.
Cost-efficient and convenient shopping at the online shop onlinecarparts.co.uk
Are you looking for first-rate car maintenance tools? Welcome to onlinecarparts.co.uk! Here, you can find hammers and axes, pullers and spanners, pneumatic equipment and accessories for it as well as many other items from reliable brands. We set affordable prices for products of the highest quality. Start making bargain purchases online right now!