Picks and mattocks are hand tools designed mainly for construction works. The wedge-shaped tip is used for cracking concrete, loosening hard soils, destroying brick walls, splitting artificial stones and solid materials. It is used for garage or auto workshop repairs, and in outdoor activities, for example, to arrange a campsite.
Picks and mattocks: 5 important facts
- By the type of the working element, there are single-sided and double-sided tools. In the former case, one side is fitted with a wedge-like blade and the second one – with a peen or butt. This type can be used together with a hammer or sledgehammer. In the latter case, both sides are fitted with blades. These devices have an arc shape. This improves aerodynamic properties of the tool and reduces its rebound.
- By the method of production, there are forged and cast tools. The former ones have a high price but are characterized by a high strength. The latter ones are inexpensive but less durable.
- You can buy picks and mattocks with handles made of wood, metal or fibreglass. Wooden ones are the cheapest but less reliable. Metal components are characterised by reliability but have a high rebound. Fibreglass handles are the most expensive but they are robust and convenient in use. Two latter types are often coated with rubber to provide an insulation and a more comfortable grip.
- Working with these tools, it is necessary to observe safety regulations and to use accessories for additional protection: goggles, helmets. Do not carry out works if there are people around you who don’t have the appropriate outfit. Before you get started, it is necessary to thoroughly examine the tool.
- It is forbidden to use the device in the places where electricity, water and other utility lines are running. It is not allowed to use the tool if its metal head is damaged or loose or there are any other defects.
Beneficial and convenient shopping at onlinecarparts.co.uk online shop
With onlinecarparts.co.uk, selecting and purchasing any tool isn’t a problem. In the user-friendly catalogue, all products are collected and divided into categories. Competent specialists of our customer support team will help you if you have any difficulties with making your choice. Our assistants will tell you what products meet your requirements, provide you with information about current discounts available at the online shop. With us, you’ll be able to buy picks and mattocks and other tools quickly and inexpensively.