Machinist hammers are used to install and remove some parts, for chiselling and shaping metal workpieces. The heads of these tools have a flat face and sharp peen.
Machinist hammers: 9 important facts
- In most cases, the working part is made of high strength tool or chromium vanadium steel. It can also have inserts made of soft metals such as lead or copper. Using tools with such tips minimizes the risk of denting the car part you are working on. The coating that protects the head from corrosion can be chromium, cadmium or zinc.
- In the catalogues, most often you may come across tools with a square striking face. They are convenient to use if the component is in the corner. Less often the face can be round. It is suitable for tasks where it is important to avoid scratching the processed spare parts.
- These devices vary depending on the material of the handle that can be wooden, for instance. Its advantage is an affordable price. However, wooden elements shouldn’t be exposed to moisture as it leads to their deformation. It is also possible to buy machinist hammers with a plastic handle. They are often fitted with rubber inserts.
- The heavier the model is, the stronger the blows you can deliver with its help. The weight can be 200, 600, 800 g, for instance.
- Before you start working, be sure to check the tool for damage. You shouldn’t use it if there are any cracks or chips. Besides, it is necessary to make sure its functional part is securely attached.
- If you have a long day of work ahead, you can carry the tool in a special belt with a holder. Thus, it’ll be always at your hands.
- During the procedures, small chips often fly away. They are a potential danger for your eyes. Therefore, it is better to wear protective goggles.
- When delivering blows, you should use not only your hand but your forearm as well. This way, your hands will not get tired so fast. The loose end of the handle should be directed to the hip of the worker.
- There is no need to clean the device with a chemical agent. You just need to wipe them with a dry cloth. For storage, it’s better to choose a room with moderate humidity.
Cost-efficient and convenient shopping at the online shop onlinecarparts.co.uk
Are you looking for inexpensive tools that can be used for car or garage repairs? Here you can buy different devices including pullers, spanners, hammers, and axes on favourable terms. We have universal tools and products for specific purposes: machinist hammers and others. Our specialists will gladly help you to choose any item you need.