Open end wrenches are hand tools intended for installing and dismantling polygonal fasteners. The U-shaped head allows gripping a part from several sides and, at the same time, enables you to work even in hard-to-reach places.
Open end wrenches: 8 important facts
- There are double head and single head models in the manufacturers’ catalogues. The former type is the most popular and has two working parts of a different size. Tools of the latter type are perfect for mounting and dismounting large car parts. In order to increase the amount of the applied force, this tool can be made longer by attaching a suitable tube to its end.
- In an online shop, you can buy products of different design. Some have their heads and handles aligned and some – offset. Besides, there are twisted models. They have two working parts placed at right angles. These devices allow dealing even with stuck fasteners. The contact area between the hand and the tool of this type is much larger in comparison to other models, which makes them more efficient in force transfer.
- You can also buy slogging open end spanners. They have special blocks on their handles and should be used together with a hammer. They are also effective against stuck fasteners.
- Manufacturers use different materials. For example, there are steel models featuring durability, reliability and a relatively low price. Devices made of bronze alloys are softer than steel ones so they can’t withstand significant loads. However, they are ideal for working in explosion- and fire-hazardous environments. There are also copper-plated tools. They are made of steel but have a non-sparking copper coating. Their disadvantage is that the upper layer wears off with time.
- Before getting down to work, it is necessary to examine the device for deformation and corrosion. In case any of the defects are found, the device should not be used.
- The size of the tool should correspond to the parameters of the fastener. Otherwise, there is a risk of damaging the sides of the part which makes its dismantling more difficult.
- It is not recommended to apply too much force. If you can’t manage to loosen the part with a standard open-end wrench, you should use a slogging one. Besides, you can use a special agent that dissolves corrosion. It’ll make the removal of metal fasteners easier.
- Make sure that the tool is dry. Due to that, it won’t slip out of your hands.
Cost-efficient and convenient shopping at the online shop onlinecarparts.co.uk.
Would you like to buy open end wrenches as well as other products for vehicle maintenance or garage repairs? Visit onlinecarparts.co.uk. Here, you’ll find inexpensive pullers, wrenches, hammers, screwdrivers and many other things. Place your order online today and your purchase will be delivered in a short time.