Air hammers are used to remove fasteners that got stuck because of corrosion. They are also effective for cleaning welds. These tools are actuated by pressurized air supplied by a compressor. It operates the piston which, in its turn, operates the working element. A tapered punch or chisels can be used as the latter.
Air hammers: 10 important facts
- When you choose a product from the catalogue, an important factor to consider is its weight. The bigger it is, the higher the force applied to the processed surface. At the same time, note that using heavy equipment can be tiresome.
- The main specification of air hammers is their performance. It is often defined as a number of blows per minute.
- Before you start, it is recommended to examine the device for defects. Damaged equipment should not be used. In case some fasteners are deformed or missing, you will need to buy new ones.
- Prior to using the tool, make sure that nothing prevents the piston from moving freely. For this, rotate the device in a vertical plane.
- When the tool is in use, it produces significant noise and a lot of dust. Thereby, it is recommended to wear special earmuffs, goggles and a respirator.
- If an air drive system isn’t fitted with a special lubricator, it is necessary to add lubricant manually. That should be done once every 2–3 hours.
- It is necessary to have a break every 10–15 minutes. It is not recommended to use the device for more than 6 hours a day. Besides, it is recommended not to leave the device running idle.
- If you need to replace the attachment, the equipment has to be switched off.
- Air chisels must not be cleaned with chemical agents containing chlorine or any other aggressive components. Most often, it is enough to clean the tool with a damp cloth and dry it with a dry one.
- As a rule, the instructions specify that the device must be actuated by clean and dry air. However, the air flow from the compressor contains moisture and other impurities that might lead to corrosion damage and premature wear and tear of the equipment. A filter fitted into the air hose helps to prevent this. It is better to place it as close to the device as possible.
Cost-efficient and convenient shopping at the online shop onlinecarparts.co.uk
We offer air tools and accessories to accomplish a variety of tasks. Affordable prices will convince you that buying high-quality equipment for vehicle repair without spending too much is possible. For example, here, you can buy an air hammer with a quality warranty quickly and inexpensively. Thanks to the perfect teamwork of our employees, processing orders and delivering purchases from the online shop won’t take much time.