Fire extinguishers should be present in all vehicles. Such devices allow stopping the fire which occurs due to wiring short circuit, acts of vandalism or for other reasons.
Fire extinguishers: 7 important facts
- You can use dry powder accessories at ambient temperatures from −50 to +50 °C. Their working substance is a fine powder. It is propelled by the pressure of about 16–24 atm. The powder prevents the surface from contacting oxygen.
- The working temperature of CO2 devices is from −20 to +50 °C. Such fire extinguishers are tanks containing carbon dioxide. An average temperature of gas discharge jet is from −70 to −90 °C and its pressure is about 55 atm. The aim of such devices is to suffocate the fire and cool down the surface. Their advantage is fast activation.
- This safety equipment differs in the classes of fires which it can extinguish: class “A” fires – burning of solid objects, class “B” – flammable liquids, class “C” – combustion of flammable gases. Often manufacturers offer accessories of the combined type. As a rule, in a catalogue, you can find a device suitable for extinguishing class “B” and “C”, or even “A”, “B” and “C” fires. Pay attention to product specifications and marking on the container.
- Remember that the fire extinguishers become unusable in the course of time. Their expiry date is always specified in the label.
- You should check the condition of the manometer, integrity of the tank, and the pressure inside regularly. Using a damaged device is prohibited.
- Place the accessory so that you could take it out easily and quickly in case of an emergency. Putting it under direct sunlight is prohibited. Moreover, the device should be securely fixed in a vertical position. We recommend keeping a pair of gloves beside it: they can be useful if you need to open a hot bonnet to tackle the fire in the engine bay.
- It is recommended to activate the device at the distance of at least 2–3 meters from the fire source. You must not inhale the contents of the tank while tackling the fire. Moreover, while using a CO2 fire extinguisher be careful to avoid the contact of carbon dioxide with your skin due to the high risk of frostbite.
Cost-efficient and convenient shopping in the online-shop onlinecarparts.co.uk
Here, you can purchase high-quality automotive accessories inexpensively. You will be pleasantly surprised by our prices. At onlinecarparts.co.uk you can buy fire extinguishers, emergency hammers, first aid kits and many other products which will get you safely through any unforeseen situation on your way. If you need some advice to make a choice, contact the specialists of our online shop, and they will tell you how to get a good buy.