While repairing a vehicle, it may become necessary to make external threads on studs, bolts and other fasteners. Dies help to solve these tasks. They look similar to nuts but have grooves with cutting edges inside. When the device is turned, threading appears on the treated car part.
Dies: 7 important facts
- These devices differ in shape. For example, there are round tools designed to be used together with special die holders or machines. Besides, there are also hexagonal models. They are used in combination with spanners.
- The most popular are one-piece tools: inexpensive and having a robust body. You can make threads of only one diameter with their help. It is possible to buy adjustable dies with a split. Thanks to it, the diameter of the created threading can be changed if necessary. The design of some models comprises several pieces that can be put together. They are used in combination with a special type of die holders. There are also rolling devices that are used for high precision tasks. They have a body fitted with special rollers. They do not damage the metal structure of the fastener, therefore the threads made this way are highly durable.
- The most popular devices with sharp edges are with right-hand threading. Less often, in the catalogues, you may come across models with left-handed threading used for specific purposes.
- The workpiece to be processed needs pre-treatment. For example, you should remove dirt, old paint residues, corrosion spots. The part should be positioned without any skews in relation to the blades.
- It is important to choose the right size of the tool. If it is too wide, the threads won’t be deep enough. If the diameter of the workpiece is too large, the device may deform it during operation. Besides, in that case, there is a risk of damaging the functional element of the tool itself due to high loads.
- It is not recommended to apply too much force to dies. The swarf formed during cutting should be quickly removed from the working area.
- In order to make sure that the parameters of the cut threading are correct, use special thread gauges.
Cost-efficient and convenient shopping at the internet shop onlinecarparts.co.uk
Would you like to buy inexpensive tools for car repairs? Take a look at the special offers of the online shop onlinecarparts.co.uk. Here, you can order thread taps, dies, thread chasers and many other things on favourable terms. Become our customer and start saving today.