Thread chasers are interchangeable components used in a lathe machine. They are designed for quick creating a thread on parts made of soft metal. They differ from lathe knives by the availability of several teeth on the working part. The teeth are positioned at an angle of 25–30 degrees, which allows cutting a better quality thread in fewer cutting cycles. They also have calibrating elements that help to finish the processed surface.
Thread chasers: 5 important facts
- The items for cutting external thread can be flat or tangential. The former ones are used when it is necessary to cut a thread with a low thread angle. The latter ones – for creating a thread with a higher angle. Circular chasers are used for cutting thread both on the inner and external surfaces of a workpiece. These tools can have either ring or helical cutting.
- Before buying a thread chaser, it is necessary to make sure that the item you are going to choose has the specifications suitable for the upcoming works.
- When dealing with circular tools, it is important to pay your attention to the handedness of the thread. When dealing with screws, threaded studs or bolts, the handedness of the thread of the tool should be opposite to that of the processed component. When cutting internal thread, the direction of the turns on the processed part and of those on the tool must be the same.
- Before you get down to work, it is necessary to make sure that all parts are securely fixed. Otherwise, there is a risk of the chaser detaching during the process and causing injuries. Observe safety regulations and use personal protective equipment such as goggles. When the work is done, clean the device thoroughly; it should be kept in a special box.
- While using the device, it is necessary to follow safety rules: use protective goggles to prevent particles of metal swarf from getting into the eyes.
Beneficial and convenient shopping at onlinecarparts.co.uk online shop
At onlinecarparts.co.uk online shop, you can buy thread chasers at an affordable price. The customer support team will provide you with professional assistance in selecting available tools from the catalogue and tell you about running promotions and special offers.