A nut driver is used for tightening and loosening nuts - threaded fasteners with a polygonal profile. This tool is made as a metal rod with a socket on its end. The device allows to mount or dismantle a nut very carefully due to the tight fit with its surface.
Nut drivers: 8 important facts and tips
- The nut drivers offered in the catalogues can either be solid or have interchangeable working elements that can be swapped to fit different sized nuts. The former are more durable, relatively cheaper in price, and can be supplied both as a separate tool or as part of kits. The latter take up little space when stored, and allow to use the same tool for various tasks.
- Among other nut drivers, at our online shop we stock those designed for high loads. They have a hard, solid shaft. It is also possible to buy tools suitable for removing parts from areas that are difficult to access. They feature a telescopic or flexible shaft.
- It is possible to order straight or T-shaped nut drivers online. Straight nut drivers are inexpensive, while the T-shaped nut drivers transmit torque more efficiently but are not suitable for working in enclosed spaces.
- The most common nut drivers are models that can be used with six- and twelve-pointed fasteners. The Torx tools are designed for mounting elements with a profile shaped like a six-point star. The SuperTech and Spline devices are suitable for almost all kinds of fasteners, the SuperLock tools can even be used with corroded components.
- If you’re planning extensive use of a nut driver, it is better to choose tools with a ratchet mechanism, as it reduces pressure on the hand.
- Before you start, it is necessary to make sure that the socket of the tool is securely attached to the nut or bolt. Any spaces between the surfaces can lead to stripping of the fastener.
- The nut driver must be held at a 90° angle. This will help to prevent it from getting stuck or damaged.
- If it is hard to remove the fastener, you shouldn’t apply too much force. It is better to use another device: an air impact wrench, for instance.
Advantageous and convenient shopping at the onlinecarparts.co.uk online store
At our online store you can buy nut drivers, a socket set, adaptors and other highest quality tools. Place your order in just a few clicks and receive it in just a few days. If you have any questions, ask the customer support team of our online shop. They are always happy to provide detailed information about our products.