Torque wrenches are used for tightening threaded fasteners that require a precise torque. The tool will inform you when the pre-set value is reached.
Torque wrenches: 7 important facts
- Models of the beam type are inexpensive, as a rule. The ones with the simplest design are a combination of a lever with a scale and a fixed pointer. When the fastener is being tightened, the scale moves to an angle determined by the applied force. Apart from the devices with a fixed arrow indicator, there are models fitted with a dial indicator. As the design doesn’t include a limiter, you have to control the torque visually. It is convenient to use this tool if access to the fastener isn’t restricted. The error of measurements ranges between 5% and 20%.
- There are click devices with a ratchet mechanism and a spring which compresses when the fastener is being tightened. When the required torque is reached, you’ll hear the characteristic sound. Click wrenches are convenient to use when working with fasteners in hard-to-reach places. Besides, another advantage of these devices is a considerably low error rate – under 8%.
- You can buy a torque wrench with a digital screen that will show real-time torque readings. There is also a sound or vibration notification. The error of measurements is not more than 1%.
- It is not permitted to exceed the maximum load recommended by the manufacturer. This might result not only in inaccurate readings but also in device failure.
- These tools are not supposed to be used for removing corroded or overtightened fasteners. Various ring spanners are intended for such tasks. Besides, special rust converting agents can make the job much easier.
- It is recommended to have your tool checked and calibrated at least once a year in a service centre.
- It is important not to expose the tool to moisture. Digital devices shouldn’t be used if the ambient temperature is below 0 °C.
Cost-efficient and convenient shopping at the online shop onlinecarparts.co.uk
Here, you can buy various tools for vehicle repair at a reasonable price. Thanks to the wide range of products in the catalogue your choice won’t be limited and you’ll be able to find suitable torque wrenches quickly. If it is necessary, the consultants from our online shop will be happy to advise you so that you could make the right choice.