Thread taps are used for repairing a vehicle or some tools like a saw, for instance. They allow creating a thread with the required parameters in already existing holes. The working part has the shape of a screw. Their shanks need to be gripped into a tap wrench or some other device. The general usage procedure is as follows: you place your thread-cutting tool inside the hole and then rotate the device attached to it.
Thread taps: 7 important facts
- Most often, the working part of the tools has slots with sharp edges. Apart from cutting devices, manufacturers produce models that perform their functions by partially deforming the treated material. The advantage of such processing is the absence of swarf.
- When choosing a cutting tap from the catalogue, take into consideration the shape of its flutes. For instance, they can be straight. Elements of this type are suitable for operations both with blind and through holes. They are mainly used for working with cast iron. There are models with spiral flutes which are ideal for processing blind holes. In the types of tools mentioned above, the flutes serve both to ensure the access of cutting fluids and to remove swarf. You can also buy pointed thread taps to treat through holes. Due to shallow flutes intended only for ensuring the access of lubricants, their design is more durable.
- V-thread is the most widely spread type. Square and ACME threads are also popular. Besides, there are models with one slanted face of the cutting edge while the other one is straight.
- Elements with right-handed threading are turned clockwise, and with left-handed one — anti-clockwise. Thread taps of the second type are used to create threading in the parts where it is crucial to prevent loosening.
- While working, it is recommended to use grease. It prevents rust and makes the device turn easier.
- Before you start, make sure that there are no defects on the tool. Faulty equipment may break down during the working process. As a result, you’ll have to waste your time and effort removing the pieces from the hole. Apart from that, a worn-out tap damages the processed workpiece.
- The device has to be fixed in the chuck as securely as possible. If it detaches while carrying out the required task, the worker can get injured.
Cost-efficient and convenient shopping at the online shop onlinecarparts.co.uk.
Here, you’ll find various products for vehicle repairs including thread taps and die nuts. Affordable prices will help you to minimize your costs while performing the required operations effectively without much effort. Consultants from our online shop will process your order very quickly and dispatch the parcel as soon as possible. Make sure that making purchases at onlinecarparts.co.uk isn’t only cheap but fast as well.