Vices are used to secure a part to allow mechanical, welding or other kinds of work to be performed on it. In particular, they are indispensable if it is necessary to secure a workpiece with sharp edges that can cause injuries. Vices have two jaws: one of them is fixed and the second one can move when you turn in the screw. As a result, the car part is gripped between these working elements.
Vices: 6 important facts
- These tools vary in design and method of application. For example, in the catalogue you can find hand-held models; they can reliably secure small parts and are relatively inexpensive. It isn’t necessary to attach them to a table or any other surface. There are also machining devices that are capable of holding large parts. They are placed on a workbench or used together with drilling machines. Some machining models have an air-powered drive.
- Their bodies are usually made of steel or cast iron, and jaws – of duralumin. Sometimes, they can be fitted with rubber pads. Vices can be either solid or have interchangeable working elements: smooth or serrated ones.
- It is not recommended to grip heated parts as this can lead to their deformation. Besides, when the workpiece cools down, its volume decreases, so it can slip out and get damaged.
- It is necessary to regularly oil the thread of the moving part in order to protect it from corrosion.
- When the work is over, it is necessary to open the vice jaws gently, holding tightly the processed part.
- The tools should be cleaned with a soft brush. If you use compressed air for that purpose, it is necessary to put on protective goggles before you start.
Beneficial and convenient shopping at onlinecarparts.co.uk online store
Want to advantageously buy vices and other products for vehicle maintenance and repair? Visit onlinecarparts.co.uk! You can ask competent assistants of our online shop any questions concerning the products. They’ll promptly provide you with the information and help you to place an order online. Purchases are delivered in a short time. Buying accessories and tools from us, you save not only your money but your time as well.