Utility knives are used, for instance, to dismantle interior parts and to correct their dimensions, to strip wires. They are fitted with a sliding retractable blade. It doesn’t need sharpening: you just need to shape off the dull segment. You can also buy blades separately if necessary.
Utility knives: 6 important facts
- In vehicle maintenance and repair, simple household tools can often be used; as a rule, they are inexpensive. They are suitable for cutting thin, soft workpieces. The working part in these models is retained by a sliding lock made of plastic. If it is necessary to deal with hard parts, it is recommended to buy utility knives for professional use. They are fitted with a wider blade that is fixed with a metal screw and a retainer plate.
- The tool body can be made of plastic only or can have metal guides. Devices of the former type are characterised by a light weight, and the latter ones – by resistance to mechanical loads.
- The handle is fitted with rubber elements to prevent the tool from slipping out of the hand. Sometimes the handle is serrated.
- Usually, there is a special element on the handle - a blade snapper - which is used to safely remove a dull segment. If there is none, use pliers instead.
- When removing insulation from wires, it is better first to cut it around the wire and then – lengthwise. You should be extremely careful performing the task to avoid damaging the core.
- As a rule, there is no need to slide the blade out too much. One or two segments are enough for effective work. Store the device with the blade inside.
Beneficial and convenient shopping at onlinecarparts.co.uk online store
We offer durable utility knives, chisels, wire strippers and other tools. All products shown in our catalogue are available at affordable prices. Furthermore, here you can always get help from onlinecarparts.co.uk online shop assistants. They will be happy to tell you how to place an order online just in a couple of minutes, and will ship your purchase in a short time.