Screw extractors are rods that are used to remove damaged fasteners. These tools are inserted into the hole made in the fastener and are extracted together with it. Sets of screw extractors include tools of different types and sizes.
Extractors: 9 important facts
- As a rule, these tools are made of high-strength materials. The most widely spread are chromium vanadium and chromium molybdenum steel.
- In the catalogues, you might come across straight fluted models. They are made as faceted cones and are driven into the fastener with a hammer. These tools are suitable for extracting fasteners with any handedness of the thread. They are cheap, as a rule.
- It is possible to buy spiral fluted extractors made in the shape of a threaded cone. First they are screwed into the fastener and then they are screwed out together with it with the help of a tap wrench.
- Sets of screw extractors differ in the number of the items they comprise. Besides, kits often contain additional accessories like drill bits and guide sleeves.
- To facilitate the process, it is recommended to apply some penetrating agent to the fastener.
- The drill bit used to make a bore can be centred with the help of a special guide sleeve. You should start drilling only after marking the centre on the fastener. Centre punch will be useful for this task.
- Before removing the remainder of the damaged bolt from a car part, it is recommended to dismantle the part and securely grip it in a vice, if it is possible.
- When working with broken components, metal chips may fly off them. Therefore, it is important to protect your eyes and airways. Wear special goggles and a respirator.
- Most often, the tools are sold in cases which are recommended to be used for their further storage and transportation.
Beneficial and convenient shopping at onlinecarparts.co.uk online store
Here you can order screw extractors as a set or as separate items, spending as little time and money as possible. You’ll definitely like our favourable purchasing terms. Thanks to low prices and the possibility to get a free delivery, you’ll be always able to save. If necessary, our customer care team will help you to make your choice and place an order online. Become a customer of the onlinecarparts.co.uk online shop and discover the world of beneficial shopping.