Putty knives and scrapers are mainly used in repairing a car workshop or a car body. The former ones are used to smooth the surface of components and get them ready for painting. For example, it is convenient to apply and spread the filler with them. The latter ones are used to remove dried glue, stubborn dirt, old paint. Both kinds of tools are inexpensive and have a handle and a flat working part.
Putty knives and scrapers: 7 important facts
- The working part of scrapers can be made of metal or plastic. Metal tools are more effective, while plastic ones are more suitable for delicate cleaning.
- Flexible and non-flexible putty knives can be found in the manufacturers’ catalogues. Flexible devices are usually made of rubber or silicone. They are ideal for processing hard-to-reach places and giving the required shape to the parts. Non-flexible devices can be metal or plastic. They are intended for stirring and applying putty.
- Before getting down to work, it is necessary to examine the device for damages. If there are any defects on its working part, the quality of work will be low. To smooth small irregularities on the metal part, you can use sandpaper.
- It is necessary to apply filler starting from the top and then moving to sides. Every layer should be as thin as possible.
- Before removing old paintwork, apply a special chemical agent to the part or expose it to heat. This way the paint will be softened and you’ll be able to remove it without much effort.
- It is recommended to wear protective goggles and gloves when using these tools.
- After finishing the work, you should clean the devices with water or an appropriate chemical agent as soon as possible. It is important to do this before the material hardens. It is not recommended to use sharp things for cleaning.
Beneficial and convenient shopping at onlinecarparts.co.uk online store
Looking for a place where you can buy putty knives and scrapers at a good price? Visit our online shop. At onlinecarparts.co.uk you can buy air tools for car maintenance, videoscopes for diagnostics, building tools for garage repairs and many other things. Place an order online right now and receive your purchases in a short time.