Milling cutters are used for cutting thread and processing grooves and cutouts. They are parts of special equipment such as a rotary tool or a machine tool. They can have one or several teeth. When being used, they rotate very quickly and remove the required amount of the material in a certain part of the workpiece.
Milling cutters: 6 important facts
- Models offered in the catalogues can be either one-piece or consisting of several parts. The latter ones are held together with fasteners or by welding.
- The tools differ in design. In particular, there are end models that are used for milling flat surfaces disposed at a right angle to each other. They are also used to make recesses. Hob milling cutters are suitable for processing toothed wheels and splined shafts. Face cutters will be useful when working both with flat components and those with protruding parts. Slab tools are often equipped with helical cutting edges. This design facilitates swarf removal. Milling cutters of this type are suitable for processing cylindrical parts. As for side models, they can be used for chamfering or making grooves.
- Various materials are used for manufacturing the products, among them are carbon steel, mineral ceramics, diamond. There are also models made of hard alloys. For example, it can be a blend of titan and tungsten.
- When choosing the tool, it is necessary to consider the properties of the material to be processed and the type of the task to be performed. In particular, high-speed steel devices will be suitable for rough processing of components made of soft metal, while ceramic ones are often used for treating hard workpieces. It is worth noting that these devices are rather fragile and are mainly suitable for finishing.
- You can start milling only after you’ve examined the accessory. Its cutting teeth shouldn’t be dull or chipped. Using dull tools leads to defects on the processed surface. Besides, during milling, the cutter must remain securely fixed.
- If the device heats up too much, you should cool it. Water or special cutting fluid can be used for that.
Beneficial and convenient shopping at onlinecarparts.co.uk online store
Thanks to our online shop, you can inexpensively equip your garage or workshop with everything you might need for car maintenance and repair. onlinecarparts.co.uk always sets moderate prices. Here you can buy milling cutters, chisels and many other things. Our assistants are ready to answer any of your questions, and delivery of your order will take a very little time. Become our customer today and get great deals online.