Metal drill bits are designed for making holes or slots in materials. Drilling becomes possible due to the sharp tip and special cutting edges.
Metal drill bits: 6 important facts
- There are spade, twist, core, step and centre drill bits. The working surface of the spade tools has the shape of a plate but doesn’t ensure swarf removal. Twist ones have special grooves for swarf discharge. Core drill bits are hollow cylinders with sharp teeth on the edge. Step tools are suitable for making holes of different diameters. Centre ones are designed for marking.
- Depending on the method of production, the following types can be distinguished: solid (the whole tool is made of one material), indexable (their bodies have slots for changeable inserts), welded (their shank is made of soft metals and cutting inserts – of hard ones).
- They are made of alloy or carbon steel and of hard alloys as well.
- It is not acceptable to use the device continuously for a long time as there is a risk of overheating. It is better to cool them by putting them into machine oil.
- It is not recommended to use dull devices. Use special tools for sharpening according to the instructions.
- In order to extend their service life, it is important to select appropriate working modes of the drill. For instance, it is better to set the device to 400 rpm if you want to drill a 3 mm thick workpiece.
Cost-efficient and convenient shopping at the internet shop onlinecarparts.co.uk
Would you like to make purchases inexpensively without wasting your time? You can do it at our online shop. Reasonable prices will allow you to buy metal drill bits of different types for various purposes. Our comprehensive catalogue contains a variety of offers. Consultants from our customer support team will help you to make the choice and tell you about the ongoing promotions.