Holes bored with a drill are often uneven. Countersinks help to improve the situation. This is a tool with several blades which is used to clean and smooth out the recesses before, for instance, cutting a thread.
Countersinks: 6 important facts
- Many of these devices are operated by hand tools: for instance, a tap wrench. They are often supplied together. These tools are convenient for doing small volumes of work. Apart from that, there are countersink bits for various power equipment. They allow processing the holes much faster.
- The bits differ depending on the shape of the connecting part. For example, models with a cylindrical shank are easy to install and remove, and those with a conical one – ensure better centring. Some bits might have a face key that prevents spinning.
- The area of application of the tool depends on the design of its functional part. For example, cylindrical countersinks are used to ream cavities having a similar profile. If these tools are fitted with a pilot to align them with the axis of the hole, they allow to prepare the recess for the screw head to be seated in it. Usually, these pilot guides are interchangeable. Conical models can be used for processing engine valve seats. Countersink end milling cutters are used for processing convex surfaces (bosses).
- When countersinking blind holes in ferrous metals, it is recommended to use special devices with the cutting fluid supply. The fluid is delivered through the groove in the tool body. Non-ferrous metals can be processed without it.
- The tools can be solid and made of steel. There are also welded ones with cutting elements made of hard alloys. Besides, it is possible to buy countersinks with indexable cutting inserts which are convenient to sharpen.
- Fingers or edges of clothes must not get into the working area. Do not leave unattended the power tool you are using with the countersink bits.
Beneficial and convenient shopping at onlinecarparts.co.uk online shop
In our catalogue, you can find pipe deburring reamers, pipe cutters and many other things. Low prices offered at the onlinecarparts.co.uk online shop allow to make purchases, even being limited in budget. Our inexpensive products will be your reliable helpers and will facilitate the car maintenance.