Metal-working chisels are used to remove stuck fasteners that are difficult to dismantle with other tools, as well as for breaking welded seams. They are durable sharpened metal rods.
Metal-working chisels: 9 important facts
- They can be round, oval, polygonal and spike-shaped. The latter are suitable even for splitting solid workpieces.
- There are accessories that are used together with a hammer. They are operated manually, can be equipped with a handle, and have a low price. Apart from these models, there are chisels that are used as air hammer bits. Such an interchangeable element is inserted into the chuck of the device, which is moved by the compressed air coming from the compressor.
- It is necessary to take into account that the sharpening angle of the rod must correspond to the type of the material to be processed. For example, if you need to cut parts made of hard steel, this parameter should be 70°, for copper ones - 45°, and aluminium - 35°.
- It is not recommended to use this device when you work with components made of hardened steel or other high-strength materials. This can lead to premature failure of the device.
- The element to be processed must be firmly gripped in a vice.
- Manual metal-working chisels should be positioned at an angle of about 30° to the processed surface. During the procedure, it is recommended to fix your eyes on the cutting part of the tool to deliver blows as accurately as possible. Before using air tools, make sure that the chisel bit is securely fixed and all fittings are airtight.
- Before starting to work, it is necessary to protect your eyes with special goggles. You can install a special safety mesh around the workbench. It will help to prevent small metal elements from spreading around the workshop.
- It is necessary to examine the device for defects on a regular basis. If, for instance, you have found chips, do not use the tool.
- For storage of the tools, it is better to choose a dry place where there is no moisture or aggressive chemicals.
Beneficial and convenient shopping at onlinecarparts.co.uk online store
Want to inexpensively equip your garage with everything needed for high-quality car repairs? Here you can buy metal-working chisels and many other things on favourable terms. Specialists of our online shop will advise you on the products that are perfectly suitable for the tasks you need to do, and will also help to place an order online.