Centre punches are made as rods with sharp tips and are intended for making markings for future holes. These preparations are necessary to prevent a drill bit from slipping.
Centre punches: 8 important facts
- Most often these tools are made of high-hardness steel.
- These devices differ in the characteristics of the working part. If it is sharpened to a wider angle, then the recesses it makes ensure quick penetration of the drill bit into the material. At the same time, a narrower sharpening angle helps to make the marking as accurately as possible.
- Those who prefer simplicity and reliability, should buy manual centre punches. They are used together with a hammer. Pay your attention to the fact that you’ll have to estimate the necessary effort to be applied, considering the material of the processed part. If the workpiece is very thin, then too much force applied to it can lead to its deformation.
- For big volumes of work, it is better to use automatic tools with the functional part actuated by a spring. These devices are ideal for operations which require high precision. Besides, these tools are perfect for punching fragile and soft workpieces.
- There are also devices intended for specific purposes. For example, a centre finder is used for centre punching a ball-shaped element. Its rod is fitted with a guide made in the shape, for instance, of a funnel. Special compasses are used for making holes along the circumference around a certain point. With their help, it is also possible to make indentations at a certain distance from the edge of a part.
- It is advisable to first mark the place where the hole is going to be made with a pencil.
- The centre punch has to be positioned at a precise right angle to the surface of the workpiece. A hard base placed under the workpiece will improve the result of the operation.
- These tools should be sharpened from time to time. Most often, it is done with the help of an abrasive wheel.
Beneficial and convenient shopping at onlinecarparts.co.uk online store
Reliable centre punches, files, chisels, hollow punches and many other tools are offered here. Thanks to high-quality but inexpensive products from our catalogue, repairing a car or garage will take as little time as possible. onlinecarparts.co.uk online shop means premium level services. You can contact our assistants anytime, and they’ll help you to choose the devices that are suitable both in terms of specifications and price.