Interchangeable screwdriver bits give you an opportunity to use the same tool for working with fasteners of various shapes and sizes: screws, bolts, self-tapping screws and others. They can be used together with screwdrivers, screw guns and other equipment.
Bits: 8 important facts
- Most often they are made of various steel grades, including alloy steels. Bits made of them feature excellent resistance to mechanical damage. In order to improve their characteristics, various coatings are provided. For example, chrome vanadium coating ensures high corrosion protection. Titanium nitride is a more durable coating. It can be easily recognized by its specific gold colour. Screwdriver bits with a diamond coating are preferable for intensive use. It improves the grip on the fastener. As a result, the tool doesn’t slip out and the risk of stripping the screw head decreases
- These tools can be machined or forged. Forged products are characterised by high durability as this production process doesn’t interrupt the metal structure
- There are models with one or two tips. Single-ended tools have a only one tip and a shank to be attached to equipment. Double-ended ones differ by having two functional elements, i.e. tips
- The most popular are slotted bits labelled as SL. A more reliable grip is ensured when Philips (PH) elements are used. There are also cross models with guides marked as PZ. Their distinguishing feature is additional recesses between the main ones to increase the grip. There are also six-pointed Torx models marked as Tr, TX or T. Thanks to the peculiarities of their design, the probability of cam out is less. If the process requires high torque, it is better to use six-pointed Hex elements
- Bits are often sold in sets. This a good purchase for those who often deals with fasteners of different shapes
- If you need to undo bolts in a hard-to-reach place, it is possible to buy bits with magnetic tips. However, you should mind the fact that they aren’t as effective if a lot of metal swarf is produced in the process
- The tool must fully comply with the specifications of the fastener you’re going to work with. Otherwise, the grooves both on the tip and on the fastener head can be damaged. Screwdriver bits that do not comply with the technical requirements of the tool shouldn’t be used. In that case, there is a high risk of getting injured
- The tool needs to be inserted into the corresponding recesses and then pressed as hard as possible. That will help to prevent camming out
Cost-efficient and convenient shopping at the online shop onlinecarparts.co.uk
Would you like to buy everything you need to repair your car quickly and inexpensively? In our online shop, you can order screwdriver bits, drills, torque wrenches and many other items on favourable terms. Place your order online today and get your purchase in a short time.